[R] source-only package, but still: Error: package 'simple' was built for powerpc-apple-darwin7.9.0

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Thu May 19 01:12:24 CEST 2005

On Wed, 18 May 2005, Paul Shannon wrote:

> I have a number simple R functions written for the biologists I work
> with.  These functions will evolve, and the documentation will get
> steadily better.  I hope to put them in a package on a local
> webserver, along with lots of help files, so that the users can easily
> update their installation.

We encourage you to use a repository, as in the article in the current
R-news.

> The functions are pure R, with no compiled code, but alias, I cannot
> figure out how to build this package so that it is portable across
> operating systems.
>
> It looks like 'R CMD build' inserts the following line into the
> resulting package:
>
>     Built: R 2.1.0; powerpc-apple-darwin7.9.0; 2005-05-18 14:28:36; unix
>
> making it impossible for me to later load the package into R running
> under another OS. I see this error when I execute library ('simple')
> under linux:
>
>   Error: package 'simple' was built for powerpc-apple-darwin7.9.0
>
> I'll be grateful if anyone can help me work around this restriction  ... or
> let me know how I am misconstruing the evidence.

You are.  It is R CMD INSTALL that inserts such a line, and it does not do
mention the platform if there is no src directory.  On my system there are
281 such packages.  To pick one at random: try installing 'fda'.

I suspect your package has structure it is not using.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk