[R] Fortran 95 in R ?

Bill Northcott w.northcott at unsw.edu.au
Thu May 19 00:48:32 CEST 2005

On 18/05/2005, at 8:10 PM, Joel Bremson wrote:
> Is it possible to run Fortran 95 code from R? I don't think so, but
> hopefully someone can prove me wrong.

This is not really any issue with R.  It is matter of what compilers
you have installed.

If you have Fortran 95 compiler and you use it to build R, then
within R 'F77' will refer to that compiler and you should be able to
use f95 code.

Currently I think it is correct that all the available binary
distributions of R use  g77 from the gcc 3.x.x compiler suite.
gcc-4.0.0 has recently been released and this includes the new
gfortran compiler which supports F90 and F95.  gfortran is not as
mature a product as g77 and may give you problems.  Current cvs code
seems to usable for many purposes, and by the time gcc-4.1 is
released later this year, gfortran should be quite usable.

Bill Northcott