[R] Seeking friend for life (not)

Chris Evans chris at psyctc.org
Sun May 15 17:08:15 CEST 2005

I'll take a risk following Uwe's wonderful response to that advert.
I'm looking for someone, perhaps particularly a stats student, who
might want to do a piece of work with me on using R to present and
analyse routine data that psychotherapists might submit on a cgi-bin
interface and perhaps cross-referencing that against some largish
referential data to which I have access.

Like Uwe, I require that the student bring beauty, brains, money,
infinite tolerance ... no, seriously.  If this might be of any
possible link up with yourself or a student of yours, read on,
otherwise reread Uwe's post or just hit the delete button!

The situation is that I have co-developed a "copyleft" self-report
measure that adult, tabloid literate clients in psychological
therapies can complete readily that gives reasonable indication of
their state say at referral, assessment, start of therapy, during
therapy, end of therapy, follow-up etc.  It's part of a system we
call CORE (Clinical Outcomes in Routine Evaluation).  How it is used
is up to practitioners as our aim is to persuade therapists that such
data can be of use to them, not just to researchers.  There is a
linked therapist completed assessment form and end of therapy form
which provides a therapist rating of initial and final state but,
much more importantly, provides information that contextualises the
self-report data.

A company in whom I have no financial interest have written a
wonderful PC based program that takes data and analyses it (CORE-PC,
see http://coreims.co.uk/ for information on that and the system of
measures).  However, I am interested in putting something on the www
using a cgi-bin interface to R to allow therapists not yet convinced
of the value of CORE-PC to overcome their alienation from routine
data analysis.

I am a psychotherapist and psychotherapy researcher first but my
stats is competent and I've pretty much fixed on R for all my stats
work now (bye SPSS et al.!) and love it.  However, to use R to do
this well clearly means getting my head around RZope/RSOAP or
Rstatserver or something like that as just using CGIwithR, though
brilliant, is slow and inefficient.

I have discussed this with our local university (Nottingham) who are
R supportive but have no cgi-bin expertise so I'm asking more widely
now.  Our/my history is of getting good papers out and we have good
ones on uses of the system in submission and in press as well as as a
sample list below.  Unless I do most of the work I'm very unconcerned
about where my name comes in co-authorship as I'm not under RAE
pressures, just my own and NHS pressures to move this initiative on.
Hence it may be a good link up for people.  I currently have
legitimate access to anonymised datasets from a few thosand in
specific (multi-practitioner) services to massive (c40k) datasets
from wider collections and there are many angles to look at within a
general EDA/visualising approach to help therapy practitioners
overcome their phobias and lack of numeracy.

Do get in touch directly if you think this may be of some interest.

Very best,

Chris

Sample publications, happy to send snail mail copies:

Barkham, M., Evans, C., Margison, F., et al (1998) The rationale for
developing and implementing core outcome batteries for routine use in
service settings and psychotherapy outcome research. Journal of
Mental Health, 7, 35-47.
Barkham, M., Margison, F., Leach, C., et al (2001) Service profiling
and outcomes benchmarking using the CORE-OM: toward practice-based
evidence in the psychological therapies. Journal of Consulting and
Clinical Psychology, 69, 184-196.
Evans, C., Connell, J., Barkham, M., et al (2002) Towards a
standardised brief outcome measure: psychometric properties and
utility of the CORE-OM. British Journal of Psychiatry, 180, 51-60.
---- (2003) Practice-Based Evidence: benchmarking NHS primary care
counselling services at national and local levels. Clinical
Psychology & Psychotherapy, 10, 374-388.
Evans, C., Mellor-Clark, J., Margison, F., et al (2000) CORE:
Clinical Outcomes in Routine Evaluation. Journal of Mental Health, 9,
247-255.
Margison, F. R., Barkham, M., Evans, C., et al (2000) Measurement and
psychotherapy: Evidence-based practice and practice-based evidence.
British Journal of Psychiatry, 177, 123-130.
Mellor-Clark, J., Connell, J., Barkham, M., et al (2001) Counselling
outcomes in primary health care: a CORE system data profile. European
journal of psychotherapy, counselling and health, 4, 65-86.
--
Chris Evans <chris at psyctc.org>
Consultant Psychiatrist in Psychotherapy, Rampton Hospital;