[R] multinom(): likelihood of model?

Brooks Miner miner at u.washington.edu
Sat May 14 00:27:44 CEST 2005

Hi all,

I'm working on a multinomial (or "polytomous") logistic regression
using R and have made great progress using multinom() from the nnet
library.  My response variable has three categories, and there are two
different possible predictors.  I'd like to use the likelihoods of
certain models (ie, saturated, fitteds, and null) to calculate
Nagelkerke R-squared values for various fitted models.

My question today is simple: once I have fitted a model using
multinom(), how do I find the likelihood (or log likelihood) of my
fitted model?  I understand that this value must be part of the
$deviance or $AIC components of the fitted model, but my understanding
is too limited at this point for me to know how to calculate the
likelihood of my fitted model from either of these outputs.

Thanks in advance to any assistance offered.  I'd be happy to provide
an example of my data and multinom() entries if that would help.

Gratefully,

- Brooks
Brooks Miner
Research Scientist