[R] Big matrix memory problem

Uwe Ligges ligges at statistik.uni-dortmund.de
Fri May 13 14:58:01 CEST 2005

s104100026 wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I want to read 256 1000x1000 matrices into R. I understand that it is unlikely
> that I can do this but In the hope that somebody can help me I am mailing this
> list.
>
> I have tried increasing my memory size (I understand that it is the minimum of
> 1024 or the computers RAM in my case 512)
>
> Does anyone think this is possible in R, could it be tried in Splus for
> example.

Given the matrices are numeric, you will need 256*1000*1000*8 = 2Gb of
memory just to hold them in memory, in order to apply calculations,
objects are frequently doubled .......
So you should really handle those matrices separately, either by getting
them from a database or by saving them in form of separate Rdata objects.

Uwe Ligges