[R] mget empty strings

Georg Otto georg.otto at tuebingen.mpg.de
Thu May 12 15:48:02 CEST 2005

Dear R community,

I am a beginner to R and have a question concerning mget, about I could
not find anything in the various documentation.

I have a column in a dataframe x for which I want to get values in y:

mget(x[,1], env=y, ifnotfound=NA)

I receive an error mesage:

Error in mget(x[, 1], env = y, ifnotfound = NA) :
         attempt to use zero-length variable name

this is probably due to the fact that some of the values in x[,1] are
empty ("")

I would like to get a "NA" for these values, and the found value for
those where mget finds one. Could anyone tell me how this is done
efficiently?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Georg

P.S. I am in digest mode, cc'ing the answer directly to me would be nice

--
Georg Wilhelm Otto
Max-Planck-Institute for Developmental Biology