[R] Using function 'boot on a bi-polar sample'

Briggs, Meredith M Meredith.Briggs at team.telstra.com
Tue May 10 06:44:59 CEST 2005

Hello

I'm not sure I'm using boot correctly:

I have a list of values for a variable in BUCKET[, j]
I want to use function 'boot' to estimate a confidence interval on the mean of the non-zero data. The data can be bi-polar or skewed.
Is this the correct use of boot to establish a mean and standard deviation or median and percentiles?

	x<-BUCKET[, j]
          	mean.fun<-function(x,i) {mean(x[x>0])}
	median.fun<-function(x,i) {median(x[x>0])}
	print(mean.fun(x))
	print(median.fun(x))
      	B.mean<-boot(x,mean.fun,R=999)
	B.median<-boot(x,mean.fun,R=999)
      	print(B.mean)
	print(B.median)

I need the 'boot' function to sample repeatedly from the density distribution of the raw data and calculate means, medians etc.

How do I pull out the mean, median, deviations and percentiles into variables within R?

thanks
Meredith