[R] formula restriction in multinom?

Berton Gunter gunter.berton at gene.com
Mon May 9 21:09:25 CEST 2005

Note: multinom() is in nnet package.

In any case, the answer is, yes, this is "normal" behavior:

x^2 <==> x:x <==> x in S language linear model notation. So if you want a
quadratic you must use I(x^2). S-Plus does this silently, but it is not
required by the language definition.

-- Bert Gunter
Genentech Non-Clinical Statistics
South San Francisco, CA

"The business of the statistician is to catalyze the scientific learning
process."  - George E. P. Box