[R] Difference between "tree" and "rpart"

Dr Carbon drcarbon at gmail.com
Wed May 4 15:54:50 CEST 2005

In the help for rpart it says, "This differs from the tree function
mainly in its handling of surrogate variables." And it says that an
rpart object is a superset of a tree object. Both cite Brieman et al.
1984. Both call external code which looks like martian poetry to me.

I've seen posts in the archives where BDR, and other knowledgeable
folks, have said that rpart() is to be prefered over tree()

Is there a simple reason why? They use the same fundamental algorithm.
Are there differences in processing time? Bells and whistles?

TIA, DRC