[R] eigenvalues of a circulant matrix

Huntsinger, Reid reid_huntsinger at merck.com
Tue May 3 19:29:43 CEST 2005

Under Linux run "ldd" on the binary to see what shared libraries the binary
has been linked against and will attempt to load. The command you run is a
shell script which sets and exports LD_LIBRARY_PATH and then runs R, so to
be sure first start R and execute

> system("echo $LD_LIBRARY_PATH")

and then using this value for LD_LIBRARY_PATH do

$ export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=<R's value for this>
$ ldd `R RHOME`/bin/exec/R

which will list the shared libraries R will try to load to resolve links to
shared libraries.

Having said that, I have tried your example on several platforms with
several configurations, and I get NaNs only when R is calling the Lapack
routine dsyevr (R's builtin Lapack) with an external (optimized) blas
(either Goto or ATLAS's blas) but not R's builtin blas. Moreover even with
the optimized blas, if I use dysev instead of dsyevr, (eigen() executes a
.Call("La_rs",x,only.values,"dsyevr",PACKAGE="base"), I execute this from R
with "dsyev" in place of "dsyevr") I get no NaNs.

So it looks like a problem with a blas routine used by dsyevr but not dsyev,
but I have yet to confirm.

I note that your C program does not use either of these lapack routines.

Reid Huntsinger