[R] memory error message using MASS and GLMMGibbs

Molins, Jordi Jordi.Molins at drkw.com
Tue May 3 14:42:30 CEST 2005

Hello,

I was just testing the MASS code examples for chapter 10 (Random and Mixed
Effects) and I have pasted the following code in an R session (2.1.0 in
windows 2000 professional; I have also Xemacs + ESS installed, but I was not
using them at that time; my machine has quite a lot of RAM):

library(MASS)
library(lattice)
library(nlme)
library(GLMMGibbs)
# declare a random intercept for each subject
epil$subject <- Ra(data = factor(epil$subject))
glmm(y ~ lbase*trt + lage + V4 + subject, family = poisson,
     data = epil, keep = 100000, thin = 100)

and then an Application Error appears:

"The instruction at "0x1001edc9" referenced memory at "0x00000008". The
memory could not be "written". "

It does not take long for this message to appear (less than 1s after I type
Enter).

Any help is welcome

Jordi