[R] hexbin and grid - input data values as coordinates

Adaikalavan Ramasamy ramasamy at cancer.org.uk
Thu Mar 31 23:46:29 CEST 2005

Dear all,

I am trying to use hexbin and read the very interesting article on grid
( http://www.ci.tuwien.ac.at/Conferences/useR-2004/Keynotes/Murrell.pdf ) and am hoping for some advice from more experienced users of hexbin.

I am trying to visualise a data and fit a straight line trough it. For
example, here is how I would do it in the usual way

 # simulate data
 x <- rnorm(1000)
 y <- 5*x + rnorm(1000, sd=0.5)

 plot( x, y, pch="*" )
 abline(0, 1, col=2)

And here is my failed attempt at fitting the "abline" on hexbin

 library(hexbin); library(grid)
 plot( hexbin( x, y ), style = "nested.lattice")
 grid.move.to(0.2,0.2)
 grid.line.to(0.8,0.8)

I realise that grid.* is taking plotting coordinates on the graph but
how do I tell it to use the coordinates based on the data values ? For
my real data, I would like lines with different slopes and intercepts.

I am using the hexbin version 1.2-0 ( which is the devel version ),
R-2.0.1 and Fedora Core 3.

Many thanks in advance.

Regards, Adai