[R] Solved - gnuclient problems witrh R/ESS in linux

Fredrik Lundgren fredrik.bg.lundgren at bredband.net
Wed Mar 30 19:04:25 CEST 2005

Finally,

I found a way to make fix() and edit() work with gnuclient
in ESS-5.2.6/R-2.0.1/Xemacs-21.4.15-r3 on gentoo-linux.

When invoking R/ESS the following is induced by ESS
> options(STERM='iESS', editor='gnuclient -q')

It appears as if the problem is with 'gnuclient -q'
(whatever does -q signify?? From the man page it appears to disconnect
the association between the opened buffer and gnuclient - which was teh
very problem)
and when i changed a row in ess-5.2.6/lisp/gnu-cust.el
things worked in the expected way.
Change row

if (featurep 'xemacs) "gnuclient -q" "emacsclient"))) ;; unix

if (featurep 'xemacs) "gnuclient" "emacsclient"))) ;; unix

and all things work OK.

The only thing needed in init.el for gnuclient to work in this setup
is

(gnuserv-start)

and possibly

(setq gnuserv-frame (selected-frame))

if you whant the gnuclient frame to open within Xemacs

and no fuss with PATH

Many thanks to Richard M. Heiberger for all help!

Fredrik

PS A peculiar thing though - In the latest manual for ESS it's said:
4.9 Using emacsclient

When starting R or S under Unix, ESS sets options(editor="emacsclient").
(Under

Microsoft Windows, it will use gnuclient.exe rather than emacsclient,
but the same principle

applies.)

but I got options(editor="gnuclient -q")

now changed to options(editor="gnuclient ")

DS