[R] R-2.0.1 Gentoo g77 problem

Gabriel Rossetti gabriel.rossetti at movemail.com
Fri Mar 25 23:32:42 CET 2005

Thank you for your help,

I tried Ioannis's f2c approach (Thanks Ioannis!!), and it works with the source from the R-Project site, but not with the Gentoo Portage system. I did have to use the source version, because I really need R, which I have to say Good job to all that work on it, it is really a great program! I would really rather have the gentoo ebuild, to keep my system clean. I then read the Gentoo forum page, and tried the symlinks, but no luck. I don't know how you did if Charles, but the links don't do much, I get :

checking how to get verbose linking output from g77... configure: WARNING: compilation failed

checking for Fortran libraries of g77...
checking for dummy main to link with Fortran libraries... none
checking for Fortran name-mangling scheme... configure: error: cannot compile a simple Fortran program
See `config.log' for more details.

I did compile gcc with fortran support, and gcc -v does give me f77, but I still can't get the R ebuild to build. I asked a classmate if he had any problems with R, he had non, I haven't had the pssibility to see if his system has the same gcc and such versions as me. I hope that I'll get it working one day!

Thanks again for all of your replys and have a good easter!

Gabriel Rossetti
University of Applied Science
of Western Switzerland (EIVD)
E+I Department