[R] client-server setup for R

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Thu Mar 24 20:48:44 CET 2005

Running Hummingbird Exceed on the desktops would take a small proportion
of the budget but provide full X and Windows interworking.  We regularly
access R on remote Linux servers from Windows via PUTTY and Exceed (in
fact I am writing this email that way from my laptop on my lap).

One comment on Reid's comment: these days I would very much advise getting
a 64-bit server, and it is unlikely to be cost effective to buy a Xeon
rather than AMD64.  That would put me off any form of Windows server
unless you can acquire the appropriate 64-bit software (and R under
Windows is not 64-bit with no suitable compiler/runtime in sight, and I
believe the same is true of S-PLUS).

Note that the various DCOM servers do provide an R client-server solution
under Windows.