[R] Problem loading library Design

Markus Jäntti markus.jantti at iki.fi
Thu Mar 24 13:24:41 CET 2005

Emmanuelle Comets wrote:
> I have used library Design (Frank Harrell) in the past but when I tried
> this week, I get :
>  > library(Design)
> Error in eval(expr, envir, enclos) : Object "formula.default" not found
>
> I updated to the latest version of the library (2.0) with the same
> result. My version of R may not be the latest but it's recent (and I
> probably changed since using Design for the last time) :
>
>  > version
>          _
> platform i686-pc-linux-gnu
> arch     i686
> os       linux-gnu
> system   i686, linux-gnu
> status
> major    1
> minor    9.1
> year     2004
> month    06
> day      21
> language R

I just tried this in
 > version
          _
platform i386-pc-linux-gnu
arch     i386
os       linux-gnu
system   i386, linux-gnu
status
major    2
minor    0.1
year     2004
month    11
day      15
language R

where it works. Your R is pretty old and there were many changes in
moving to 2.0 (including the namespaces, which may be the reason you are
getting that particular error).

Upgrading R would appear to be the solution.

Regards,

markus