[R] How to do such MDS in R

Jari Oksanen jari.oksanen at oulu.fi
Wed Mar 23 18:19:23 CET 2005

On 21 Mar 2005, at 13:29, ronggui wrote:

> i know cmdscale and isoMDS inR can do classical and non-metric MDS.but
> i want to konw if there is packages can carry on "individual
> differences scaling" and "multidimensional analysis og
> preference"?both method are important one,but i can not find any clue
> on how to do it using R.
> anyone can help?
> thank you!

It may be that individual differences scaling is not available in R.
The classic piece of software for this purpose is SINDSCAL. It is
beautiful Fortran (although this sounds like contradiction in terms),
and it would be easy to port the software into R, but I think the
license does not allow this. The hardest bit would be to change the
output into R. I suggest you dig up SINDSCAL somewhere -- it could be
in netlib -- and compile it yourself. Gnu g77 is quite OK.

cheers, jari oksanen
--
Jari Oksanen, Oulu, Finland