[R] OS X proxy question

joerg van den hoff j.van_den_hoff at fz-rossendorf.de
Tue Mar 22 19:09:43 CET 2005

Drew Balazs wrote:
> All,
>
> I'm currently using R 2.0.1 on a Powerbook G4 with OS X 10.3.8. So far
> the only way I've found to set my proxy is by doing
> Sys.putenv("http_proxy"="<insert proxy url>:<proxy port>)  everytime I
> start up R.
>
> This works fine, but I'd like to find a solution that doesnt require
> manual input everytime I start up R. Does any one have a better way of
> accomplishing this?
>

> Thanks,
>
> Drew Balazs

if I understand your  problem, you need a way to get some environment
variables right which usually are set in .profile or .cshrc.

to this  end you need a directory `.MacOSX' in your home dir and there a
file `environment.plist'. this can best be edited with the uitility
`Property Editor' which is in `/Developer/Applications/Utilities'.

see also http://developer.apple.com/qa/qa2001/qa1067.html

hope this helps

joerg