[R] Re: Repeated Measures, groupedData and lme

Ignacio Colonna iacolonn at uiuc.edu
Sun Mar 20 05:14:59 CET 2005

Emma,
	I am not an expert, but I have been trying to fit similar models.
Adding to Keith's reply to your question, I can suggest what I concluded was
the most reasonable model for my case. Based on Keith's Model1, you might
also want to allow for a correlation among years within each experimental
unit (I am assuming the experiment was conducted at the exact same location
over the 3 years).
	Say you want to impose an autoregressive, order 1 structure (you can
change this to any other structure you may consider appropriate)
	To do this at the block*treatment unit (the smallest experimental
unit size in your experiment), you can add to keith's code:

correlation=corAR1(form=~1|block/treatment)

thus the entire code would be
Model1<-lme(mg~treatment + year + treatment:year, random=~1|block,
correlation=corAR1(form=~1|block/treatment),data=magnesium)

This results in a model with a certain covariance among all exp.units within
the same block, plus another covariance between pairs of years within the
same exp.unit, and this covariance decreases as the difference in time
increases.

You can see graphically the structure of this covariance by doing:
rho<-0.3
ar1<-corAR1(value=rho,form=~1|block/treatment)
ar1<-Initialize(ar1,data=yourdata)
m1<-corMatrix(ar1)
plot(m1$"1/name of first treatment"[,1])

Now, I really hope someone more knowledgeable is checking this out there and
will point out whether this is incorrect, as I have used it for my analysis
assuming was the correct approach.

Ignacio