[R] Is a .R script file name available inside the script?

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at myway.com
Sat Mar 19 04:00:23 CET 2005

Darren Weber <darrenleeweber <at> gmail.com> writes:

:
: Hi,
:
: if we have a file called Rscript.R that contains the following, for example:
:
: x <- 1:100
: outfile = "Rscript.Rout"
: sink(outfile)
: print(x)
:
: and then we run
:
: >> source("Rscript.R")
:
: we get an output file called Rscript.Rout - great!
:
: Is there an internal variable, something like .Platform, that holds
: the script name when it is being executed?  I would like to use that
: variable to define the output file name.
:

In R 2.0.1 try putting this in a file and sourcing it.

script.description <- function() eval.parent(quote(file), n = 3)
print(basename(script.description()))

If you are using R 2.1.0 (devel) then use this instead:

script.description <- function()
	showConnections() [as.character(eval.parent(quote(file), n = 3)),
		"description"]
print((basename(script.description())))