[R] passing arguments to FUN in lapply

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at myway.com
Fri Mar 18 14:06:07 CET 2005

Pingping Zheng <pingping.zheng <at> lancaster.ac.uk> writes:

:
: Suppose I have a nx2 matrix of data, X, the following code generate
: density estimation for each column and plot them
:
: denlist <- apply(X, 2, density)
: par(mfrow=c(1,2))
: lapply(denlist, plot)
:
: Does anyone know how to change the main title of each density plot
: to "var 1", "var 2" by passing optional argument "main"? I've tried
:
: lapply(denlist, plot, main=c("var 1", "var 2"))
: which generates two same titles "var 1/var 2" and "var 1/var 2"
:
: lapply(denlist, plot, main=list("var 1", "var 2"))
: which generates two same titles "var 1"
:
: Both are not I want.
:

Try mapply instead of lapply:

mapply(plot, denlist, main = paste("var", 1:2))