[R] par(new=TRUE) vs par(new=FALSE)

Uwe Ligges ligges at statistik.uni-dortmund.de
Mon Mar 14 19:23:42 CET 2005

Dirk Enzmann wrote:

> Just out of curiosity (and I hope that my question does not confuse
> those who intuitively understood the par(new=TRUE) statement right in
> the beginning):
>
> I would like to know whether beginners (learning R) had the same
> difficulty as I had: Intuitively I thought that par(new=TRUE) would draw
> a new plot (and not into an already existing plot) and that
> par(new=FALSE) would not draw a new plot but draw into an already
> existing plot - opposed to what the par(new=TRUE) statement actually
> does. (It would be interesting to receive an answer also from those who
> meanwhile reached an expert status  in working with the R syntax).
> Perhaps my confusion is due to the fact that I am a trained right-handed
> that really is a left-handed (those people tend to mistake contrasts).
>
> If there are a lot of people having this difficulty, I would like to
> know why the decision was made to define the mode of action of the
> par(new=TRUE) statement as it is now. Perhaps that helps me to
> understand better the way programmers tend to think.

This has been defined ages ago in the blue book (maybe in the brown one,
I don't have it handy), so no chance to redefine. It confuses several
users, but ?par has the nice explaination:

'new: logical, defaulting to FALSE. If set to TRUE, the next high-level
plotting command (actually plot.new) should not clean the frame before
drawing "as if it was on a new device".'

Uwe Ligges