[R] Transparent colors OR two series on one histogram

Nathaniel Street n.r.street at soton.ac.uk
Thu Mar 10 21:14:45 CET 2005

Hi,

I want to be able to plot a single histogram of a measured trait with
trait values from two conditions on the same histogram to allow easy
comparison.

I have previously done this in excel by plotting the two series on a
single bargraph having calculated frequencies in bins. You then get one
condition plotted immediately to the right of the other. I hope that
makes sense?

I don't know if this is possible in R?

If not, I could plot the second one on top of the first i.e.

hist(x)
hist(y,add=TRUE)

but i would need to set one as having a semi-transparent color so that
where the two sets of are plotted on top of each other, you can see the
frequency of the first series 'behind' the second.

Can anyone help me do this? It would be another step towards never using
excel again :)

Thanks