[R] Lattice device page options-margins

Paul Murrell p.murrell at auckland.ac.nz
Wed Mar 9 20:54:50 CET 2005

Hi

Sundar Dorai-Raj wrote:

> Bock, Michael wrote on 3/9/2005 1:19 PM:
>
>> I am using lattice to make figures as pdfs:
>> trellis.device(device = "pdf",file = "Figure6.pdf",color = FALSE)
>>
>> I need to specify some blank space on the left-hand margins (the pages
>> will be bound so we need about 0.5 inch)). I have tried a number of
>> solutions but none seems to work (e.g. par.set). Can this be done when
>> initiating the plotting device? Or is the some other way that does not
>> require me to manually move everything over?
>>

> Michael,
>
> I believe you can do this using print.trellis and setting the position
> argument. E.g.
>
> trellis.device(device = "pdf",file = "Figure6.pdf",color = FALSE)
> xy <- xyplot(...)
> print(xy, pos = c(0.10, 0, 1, 1))
> dev.off()

Or if you want exactly 0.5 inches, something like ...

# may need
# library(grid)
trellis.device(device = "pdf",file = "Figure6.pdf",color = FALSE)
xy <- xyplot(1:10 ~ 1:10)
pushViewport(viewport(x=1,
                       width=unit(1, "npc") - unit(0.5, "inches"),
                       just="right"))
# to show region you're plotting in
# grid.rect(gp=gpar(col="grey"))
print(xy, newpage=FALSE)