[R] about kpss.test()

Achim Zeileis Achim.Zeileis at wu-wien.ac.at
Wed Mar 9 19:46:43 CET 2005

On Wed, 9 Mar 2005 13:31:16 -0500 (EST) Weiguang Shi wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> First of all, could you tell me what the "KPSS Level"
> in the output of the test means?

It means that you tested for level stationarity and gives you the test
statistic.

> I have a series, x, of periodic data and tried
> kpss.test() on it to verify its stationarity. The

Note that stationarity is the null hypothesis and not the alternative of
the KPSS test.

> tests
> gave me the p-value above 0.1. Since the null
> hypothesis N0 is that the series _is_ stationary, this
> means that I cannot reject N0. But the series does
> look
> periodic!
>
> So does all this say stationarity and periodicity can
> co-exist?

Please check the references of kpss.test or any book on economectric
time series analysis for which alternatives the KPSS test was designed.
Hint: it's not designed for detecting cyclical variations.