[R] function in order to plot the same graph to postscript and pdf

Achim Zeileis Achim.Zeileis at wu-wien.ac.at
Wed Mar 9 15:11:17 CET 2005

On Wed, 9 Mar 2005 14:57:27 +0100 Ronny Klein wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've written a function in order to plot the same graph in a postcript
> and in a pdf file. Unfortunately, the second graph is always empty,
> i.e.:
>
> plot.both <- function{myplot, filename}{
>   pdf(file=paste(filename, ".pdf", sep=""))
>    myplot
>   dev.off()
>   postscript(file=paste(filename, ".eps", sep=""))
>    myplot
>   dev.off()
> }
>
> yields in a correct pdf but an empty eps file. However something like
> this:
>
> plot.both <- function{myplot1, myplot2, filename}{
>   pdf(file=paste(filename, ".pdf", sep=""))
>    myplot1
>   dev.off()
>   postscript(file=paste(filename, ".eps", sep=""))
>    myplot2
>   dev.off()
> }
>
> yields the expected results even if myplot1 and myplot2 are identical.

What are the myplot objects? Expressions or graphical objects that are
printed?

In any case, a good recommendation for this kind of stuff is to look at
Sweave() in the utils package. I guess you're writing your thesis in
LaTeX...and Sweave is a great possibility to mix LaTeX code and R code
which for example generates both pdf and eps graphics.