[R] how to capture a series of plots

Weijie Cai wcai11 at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 4 00:17:26 CET 2005

Hi, there

I am trying to capture a series of plots into jpeg or png files so that I
can create gif animation later. However, my plot background generation is
very slow, and I create the background plot only at the very beginning, and
at each step I only refresh the foreground points and symbols like this:
plot(x,y)
while (condition holds){
symbols(...add=1);
}

My question is, can I create a series of plots test1.jpg,
test2.jpg...continuously? To my knowledge, R has to close current device (by
dev.off()) to write to current file, so once first jpeg file is written, the
current device with background will be off, therefore, I cannot add symbols
in next device and create following file series.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

WC