[R] 3d plot of regression squared error

Deepayan Sarkar deepayan at stat.wisc.edu
Thu Mar 3 17:18:07 CET 2005

On Thursday 03 March 2005 13:04, Ross Clement wrote:
> Hi. I'm trying to create a 3d plot for a teaching example of finding
> a least-squares estimate of the parameters to fit a line to some
> data. I was hoping to get a nice plot with a clear, single minima
> where the derivative of the surface is zero. No matter how much I
> tinker, I can't seem to get a simple straightforward plot. Am I doing
> something wrong?
>
> Thanks in anticipation,
>
> Ross-c
>
> x <- c( 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 )
> y <- c( 3, 4.2, 8.7, 11.7, 13.2, 19.1, 21, 25, 26.1, 29.8 )

Well, you need to go far enough away to see the curve. Centering the
x-variable is important (at least with your parametrization of straight
lines). E.g., the following combination gives a surface that looks nice
enough:

x <- 1:10 - 5.5
a.axis <- seq( 0, 10, length=20 )
b.axis <- seq( -30, 0, length=20 )