[R] Negative binomial regression for count data

vito muggeo vmuggeo at dssm.unipa.it
Thu Mar 3 14:50:40 CET 2005

Hi,
I do not know the article. Notice that an excess of zeroes can lead to
(spurious) overdispersion in data, therefore you should decide whether
assuming a zip ( zero excess coming from a "mixture") or a negBin (zero
execess due to overdispersion) model. Of course some likelihood based
criteria (eg AIC) could be of help for you

However it is possible (at least in principle) to account for both extra
zeros  and overdispersion as well. S. Jackman has written code to fit
zip or zinb regression models http://pscl.stanford.edu/zeroinfl.r You
should modify the code if you want to assume different "linear
predictors" in the logit (zero vs non/zero) and count part

Hope this helps,
vito