[R] Differences between package and library terminology

Wed Mar 2 15:20:44 CET 2005

On Wed, 2005-03-02 at 13:42 +0000, Adaikalavan Ramasamy wrote:
> Just out of curiosity, what is the difference between the terms for
> package and library ?  Why are we loading a package with the library()
> command ?
>
> If this is a case of RTFM, I would be happy to do so if pointed in the
> right direction. I have searched the FAQ and mail archives and only came
> up with http://tolstoy.newcastle.edu.au/R/help/05/02/12162.html but this
> still does not explain what is the requirement/features of a package vs.
> library.
>
> Does this question not qualify to be included in the FAQs.
>
> Thank you
>
> Regards, Adai

There was actually just an exchange on this last month, which was
precipitated by a thread on r-help and then moved to r-devel. The r-
devel part, which is more relevant here, begins at:

https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-devel/2005-February/032095.html

HTH,

Marc Schwartz