[R] Users in Ukraine & cyrillic support

Paul Johnson pauljohn at ku.edu
Tue Mar 1 21:30:02 CET 2005

Hello, everybody:

My friends in Ukraine are starting a research lab at a national
university and they asked what programs to use.  I said "R" of course,
and they then asked me 'what support does it have for Cyrillic'?

i've done some snooping in the R website and all the references i find
to foreign languages concern c and fortran, not Ukrainian or Russian.
Since i'm an English-only user, I have no idea what is involved here, or
what difficulties might be caused with non-English character sets and
file systems.

Not to mention the problem that the documentation/manuals are in English.

If you have any advice that I can collect up for my friends, I would
appreciate it.

Paul E. Johnson                       email: pauljohn at ku.edu
1541 Lilac Lane, Rm 504