[R] packages masking other objects

Uwe Ligges ligges at statistik.uni-dortmund.de
Tue Mar 1 08:26:57 CET 2005

James Smith wrote:
> hello all,
>
> I am trying to use the function getCovariateFormula(nlme) in conjunction with the library lme4. When I load both packages I get the following message and the getCovariateFormula function no longer works:
>
> library(nlme)
> library(lme4)
>
> Attaching package 'lme4':
>

>         The following object(s) are masked from package:nlme :
>
>          contr.SAS getCovariateFormula getResponseFormula groupedData lmeControl

So you don't have the most recent version of lme4 which tells you instead:

 > library(nlme)
 > library(lme4)
Error in fun(...) : Package lme4 conflicts with package nlme.
  To attach lme4 you must restart R without package nlme.
Error: .onLoad failed in loadNamespace for 'lme4'
Error in library(lme4) : package/namespace load failed for 'lme4'

So the answer is: Don't do that.

Uwe Ligges