[R] Circular Mean Question

Ravi Varadhan rvaradha at jhsph.edu
Tue Jun 28 21:36:22 CEST 2005

Hi Mike,

You should think of "vector" sums rather than arithmetic sum.  So the mean
is really the direction of the resultant vector of all the unit vectors.
When two unit vectors are exactly opposing each other (as in your example
with angles 45 and 225 degrees), they cancel each other out and the
resultant vector has length zero, and hence the direction is arbitrary and
undefined.  However, there are two issues which give rise to seemingly
anomalous results:  (1) due to finite numerical precision in computing the
sines and cosines, exact cancellation does not happen, and (2) discontinuity
in atan function due to branch-point (0, 0) and a branch cut along negative
real axis.

For example,
> deg(circ.mean(c(rad(30),rad(210))))
[1] -56.30993247402022
> sx <- sin(rad(210)) + sin(rad(30))
> cx <- cos(rad(210)) + cos(rad(30))
> sx
[1] -1.665334536937735e-16
> cx
[1] 1.110223024625157e-16
> atan(sx,cx)  # this should really be 0
[1] -0.9827937232473291

If you now look at the resultant vector it has components (sin(-0.9828),
cos(-0.9828)) = (-0.83,0.55), which is completely wrong.

However, the above example is only a minor perturbation away from the
following (where the resultant vector is not zero):
> deg(circ.mean(c(rad(211),rad(30)))) # note 211 = -149 (mod 360)
[1] -59.49999999999996
which is perfectly alright.

Hope this helps,
Ravi.

Ravi Varadhan, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor,  The Center on Aging and Health
Johns Hopkins University
Ph: (410) 502-2619
Fax: (410) 614-9625
Email:  rvaradhan at jhmi.edu