[R] How to import data as numeric array?

ronggui 0034058 at fudan.edu.cn
Tue Jun 28 10:44:35 CEST 2005

maybe you can use the array function,like
>array(CO2,dim(CO2),list(rownames(CO2),colnames(CO2)))
and matrix is just a specif type of array,so maybe you can use as.matrix
>as.matrix(CO2)

the above tow,the CO2 is a data.frame which can use read.table to read in.

the third way is:use the scan the read the data and use array to change the data to array.

On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 01:05:23 -0700
tong wang <wangtong at usc.edu> wrote:

> Did some search but couldn't find useful result.
>
> I am trying to read a n*m dimension data with read.table,  what i need is a numeric array,
> is there any efficient way to allow me get this array directly instead of a list?
> I tried to use as.array() to change the mode, but seems it doesn't work and i got this error message:
>
> "Error in "dimnames<-.data.frame"(`*tmp*`, value = list(function (M)  :
>         invalid dimnames given for data frame "
>
> what's wrong with the dimension names , should i delete them? how can i do that?
>
> Thanks a lot for any help.
>
> tong wang

Department of Sociology
Fudan University,Shanghai