[R] r equivalent of egen? Not tapply

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at pdf.com
Sun Jun 26 00:41:34 CEST 2005

	  I don't know Stata, and I don't know if I understand your question.
Consider the following:

 > (AList <- as.list(rep(letters[1:3], 2))
+ )
[[1]]
[1] "a"

[[2]]
[1] "b"

[[3]]
[1] "c"

[[4]]
[1] "a"

[[5]]
[1] "b"

[[6]]
[1] "c"

 > (unlist(AList))
[1] "a" "b" "c" "a" "b" "c"
 > table(unlist(AList))

a b c
2 2 2

	  Does this answer your question?  If not, PLEASE do read the posting
guide! "http://www.R-project.org/posting-guide.html".  The discipline of
following that guide might lead you to an answer.  If it doesn't, it
will likely increase the chances of getting a useful reply.

	  spencer graves

Thomas Davidoff wrote:

> I have a list that has about 50 elements, each repeated many times (a
> list of states by observation).  I want to create a vector with the
> same length with the same value repeated over and over again within
> states.  The value I want is the number of observations that are in
> the same state as each observation.
> In stata, this is simply egen statesum = count(state), by(state).
> What is the r equivalent?  tapply just gives me 50 observations.  No
> luck yet trying apply, lapply, etc.
> Thomas Davidoff
> Assistant Professor
> Haas School of Business