[R] mulitple mixed regression with spline

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Fri Jun 24 11:02:55 CEST 2005

On Fri, 24 Jun 2005, james lumley wrote:

> Hi, I'm looking to implement a regression with mixed terms. I have 2

What do you mean by `mixed'?  Not I think  in the sense of Pinheiro &
Bates' book or nlme.

> biological endpoints for a dataset of n=77, one linearly related and
> the other fits a spline.  I want to combine these two terms in a
> linear regression for prediction, then apply the model to a test set.
>
> this works fine, good r2 and I've graphed the spline.
> m1<-lm(y~x1,data=train)
> m2<-smooth.spline(x2,y); (spl)
>
> what i want is
> y=x+bilin(x2)

You can see several ways to do this in MASS.  Most simply

lm(y ~ x1 + ns(s2, df=?))

for regression splines.  For smoothing splines, see the functions gam() in
packages mgcv and gam (which differ considerably), or bruto() in mda or
package gss or ....

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk