[R] How to read an excel data into R?

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at pdf.com
Thu Jun 23 02:14:34 CEST 2005

	  Your error message tells me that you have different numbers of fields
in different lines.  You say you, "copied and pasted the excel data into
a txt file".  I usually copy what I want into a clean sheet then File ->
Save, then File -> "Save As" -> "Save as type" = "CSV (Comma delimited)
(*.csv)" or "Text (Tab delimited) (*.txt)".  Excel will ask if I'm sure
a couple of times, and I say yes.  If that's what you've done and still
have a problem, then I have other tools:

	  First, I'll assign the file name to something like "File".  Then,
'readLines(File, n=9)' tells me if the file starts as I think it does.
If I've got extra headers, it will tell me that.

	  Then, I do something like the following:

	  n.flds <- count.fields(File, sep="\t")
	  plot(n.flds)
	  sd(n.flds)

	  Then I play with the arguments to "count.fields" until 'sd(n.flds)'
is 0.  Then I use "read.table" with arguments as I used to get
everything right in 'count.fields'.  If I can't get sd(n.flds) to 0, you
can try read.table with 'fill=TRUE'.  However, when you do that, you
need to check to make sure all the columns line up correctly with the
shorter lines.

	  Also, this issue has been discussed many times.  'RSiteSearch("read
excel")' just produced 1196 hits for me.  If the above doesn't work, you
might try skimming a few from that list.

	  hope this helps.
	  spencer graves

Ling Jin wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Does anybody know the easiest way to import excel data into R? I copied
> and pasted the excel data into a txt file, and tried read.table, but R
> reported that
>
> Error in read.table("data_support.txt", sep = " ", header = T) :
>          more columns than column names
>
> Thanks!
>
> Ling

Spencer Graves, PhD