[R] X11, interactive device

powdersoul@web.de powdersoul at web.de
Tue Jun 21 12:49:44 CEST 2005

Hey,

i'm trying to set up an cgi web-application that produces maps and other graphics with R. for local testing i used my laptop which has an win xp OS. there everything works fine. now i try to move the whole system over on an unix machine, mainly because i want to establish a connection to a database. anyway, i'm using R 2.0.0 on an other computer in a local network. here comes my problem:

i can't create jpeg-files, neither by starting R via my cgi-script nor by pasting the syntax directly into R. both ways i get the following error message:

error in X11; unable to start device JPEG; could not open JPEG file.

i found out that there is no interactive graphic device for the installed R-Version or it is not set correctly. as i tried dev.interactive(), the response was [1] FALSE.

i'm a bit lost at the moment. i wonder if there is a chance to change or modify the interactive graphic device or if i really need to run Xvfb "device" as someone suggested before on the R-help mailing list. does someone has experience with this kind of trouble, any help available from somewhere?

thanks in advance, lars