[R] how to make R faster under GNU/Linux

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Tue Jun 21 02:39:23 CEST 2005

On 20 June 2005 at 08:29, bogdan romocea wrote:
| I timed the same code (simulation with for loops) on the same box
| (dual Xeon EM64T, 1.5 Gb RAM) under 3 OSs and was surprised by the
| results:
|   Windows XP Pro (32-bit): Time difference of 5.966667 mins
|   64-bit GNU/Linux (Fedora Core 4): Time difference of 6.966667 mins
|   32-bit GNU/Linux (FC4): Time difference of 9.2 mins
| (R 2.1.0 binaries downloaded from CRAN)
|
| I searched the archives and found out I should compile a non-SHLIB R
| binary. Is there something else I should pay attention to when trying
| to make R faster under GNU/Linux?

See 'help(Rprof)' for profiling support. It will tell how the time is spent
by your loop, and I see no reason why you can't compare that across
architectures too.

Hth, Dirk

--
Statistics: The (futile) attempt to offer certainty about uncertainty.
         -- Roger Koenker, 'Dictionary of Received Ideas of Statistics'