[R] How to define S4 methods for '['

Berton Gunter gunter.berton at gene.com
Tue Jun 21 01:29:53 CEST 2005

Thanks to Robert and Gabor for their replies, but neither was what I was
looking for, undoubtedly because of the poor phrasing of my question (+ a
typo -- however, even if correctly typed it doesn't work). I finally
realized that the "elegant" approach I sought can easily be done without
setGeneric:

setMethod('[','foo',function(x,i,j,drop,...){
    cl<-as.list(sys.call())
    cl[[2]]<-x at dat
    eval(as.call(cl))
    })

Indeed, this is a general template for this sort of thing. Should have
thought of this before, as V&R's S PROGRAMMING has numerous such examples...
Sigh...

-- Bert