[R] reading csv-data

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at pdf.com
Fri Jun 17 18:30:02 CEST 2005

	  I've struggled with this myself in the past.  I've recently started
using the following:

File <- "pair.txt"
# File name with path if different from getwd()
readLines(File, n=9)

	  The function	"readLines" reads the first n lines as n individual
character strings.  From this, you can identify extra headers, the
separate characters, etc.  Then I can do something like the following:

plot(count.fields(File, sep="\t"))

	  The function "count.fields" also has arguments to specify a number of
lines to skip before it starts to process the file, which can be helpful
with multiple headers.  After "count.fields" produces a constant result
consistent with what I want, then I'm ready to use "read.table" or one
of its variants like read.csv2.

	  hope this helps.
	  spencer graves