[R] Analysing ordinal/nominal data

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Fri Jun 17 09:36:19 CEST 2005

On Thu, 16 Jun 2005, Piotr Majdak wrote:

> I'm looking for a solution to analyse data, which consists of
> dichotomous  responses (yes/no) for 2 multinomial ordinal variables.

Please explain how you get a binary response for a `multinomial ordinal
variables'?  If you intend these variables to be explanatory variables, in
what sense are they `multinomial'?

> I was trying glm() and got hierarhical models treating all variables as
> nominal, but I can't figure out how to tell glm() to use a model for
> ordinal data like this:
>
> log(Mij) = intercept + X + Y + Z + beta*(x-x')*(y-y')
>
> where beta is a regression factor for interaction between X and Y.

What are Mij, X, x, x', Y, y, y' and Z?  One normally fits a logistic
regression to a binary response.

> Do you know a trick to code it in R or point me to some documentation?

Probably no `trick' is required, but we need to start from a complete and
accurate description of the model you want to fit.

This could be a simple as

R    2-level factor
U, V ordered factors

glm(R ~ U + V + as.numeric(U)*as.numeric(V), family = binomial)

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk