[R] umlauts in Rd files

Robin Hankin r.hankin at noc.soton.ac.uk
Wed Jun 15 13:13:21 CEST 2005

Hi

I'm having difficulty following the advice in section 2.7 of R-exts.

In one of my packages, there is a function called mobius().

I want to refer to it in the Rd file as the Möbius function, and to
illustrate the
  Möbius  inversion formula (just to be explicit: this is "Mobius" but
with two dots over the second letter).

R-exts section 2.7  gives

\enc{Jöreskog}{Joreskog}

as an example, but when I cut-and-paste this, the dvi file (as produced
by R CMD Rd2dvi)
shows the umlauted "o" as A and Z with some diacritical marks, not the
desired o with
two dots on.

Using \"{o} is fine for the dvi output but not the ascii output.

How do I put an umlauted "o" in an Rd file in such a way as to have a
nice
ascii help page and nice dvi files?

--
Robin Hankin