[R] New Family object for GLM models...

Thomas Lumley tlumley at u.washington.edu
Tue Jun 14 16:41:20 CEST 2005

On Tue, 14 Jun 2005, Abatih E. wrote:
> Dear R-Users, I wish to create a new family object based on the Binomial
> family. The only difference will be with the link function. Thus instead
> if using the 'logit(u)' link function, i plan to use '-log(i-u)'. So
> far, i have tried to write the function following that of the Binomial
> and Negative Binomial families. The major problem i have here is with
> the definition of the initial values. The definitions i have attempted
> so far don't yield convergence when implemented in a model.

Are you sure the problem is with initial values?  Your link function
is capable of producing mu<0 from large enough negative eta.  If the MLE
is on the boundary of the parameter space it will not solve the likelihood
equations and so won't be found by iterative reweighted least squares. It
might be found by step-halving in glm, but that isn't guaranteed.

If the mle is in the interior of the parameter space then in my experience
the starting values aren't terribly important (though my experience is
with the log-binomial rather than -log(1-mu) link).

 	-thomas