[R] why does the unsubscribe not work

Peter Dalgaard p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Tue Jun 14 12:06:53 CEST 2005

bry at xdocs.dk writes:

> Hi I have tried to unsubscribe from this list now three times, I desperately
> need to unsubscribe from this list from this address because the list is choking
> this mailbox.
> Below are the various suggested ways of unsubscribing
>
> > To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
> > 	https://stat.ethz.ch/mailman/listinfo/r-help
> > or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
> > 	r-help-request at stat.math.ethz.ch
>
> I did the second the first time, I received an email suggesting that I send an
> email to that address with unsubscribe in the subject nothing in the body, which
> I did, I received a confirmation request from that address and I confirmed,
> after confirmation I received a response that I had been unsubscribed.  I
> continued to receive email from this list.
> So I went ahead and tried to unsubscribe via the https address, unfortunately it
> said that it did not recognize my password, as I write down all my passwords I
> doubt I've forgotten it and I am assuming that somewhere in the system I have
> been unsubscribed but unfortunately not through the whole system. Anyway I
> attempted again via the r-help-request, got the same response and of course the
> end result is I am still receiving the emails that are choking my system.
> Yesterday in order to deal with this problem I tried to contact
> r-help-owner at stat.math.ethz.ch
> and I have not received a response from him. This might very well be because
> this mailbox is getting so damned choken by mail from this list that a number of
> emails from other lists etc. are being refused. I am cc'ing him on this email. I
> would like someone to get me unsubscribed from this list as I don't think it
> very fair that I should have to abandon a mailbox that I have set to receiving
> mails from several interesting lists and that I have been using for more than a
> year now.

What are the timeframes involved? There is always some time delay. In
particular, there is no way of stopping mails that have already been
sent by the list handling software. And if your mailbox is clogged,
things may stay in the queue for up to five days before the relevant
mail relay gives up.

If your password has stopped working, it suggests to me that you have
in fact already been unsubscribed.

--
   O__  ---- Peter Dalgaard             Øster Farimagsgade 5, Entr.B
 (*) \(*) -- University of Copenhagen   Denmark          Ph: (+45) 35327918