[R] us zipcode data map

Greg Snow greg.snow at ihc.com
Mon Jun 13 17:42:14 CEST 2005

I have had success by downloading the zipcode (approximate) shapefiles
(the .shp files) from: http://www.census.gov/geo/www/cob/z52000.html

Then using the maptools package (rather than the maps package).

hope this helps,

Greg Snow, Ph.D.
Statistical Data Center, LDS Hospital
Intermountain Health Care
greg.snow at ihc.com
(801) 408-8111

>>> mike.rstat at gmail.com 06/10/05 04:18PM >>>
i've search the email archives, searched the documention
of various map packages and done an R-site search, but
have been unable to find direct resources for creating maps
of the US that are colored or annotated or ... by zipcode
data.

For example, create a map of the US and color each zipcode
region by its population using two vectors z,p containing the
zipcode and population, respectively.  I'm not looking for data
to fill z, and p.  I'm looking for some highend functions to
display on a map the data that I already have.

Cheers,
Mike