[R] assignment of inidividual variables from spss save files

Thomas Lumley tlumley at u.washington.edu
Mon Jun 13 17:00:58 CEST 2005

On Mon, 13 Jun 2005, BXC (Bendix Carstensen) wrote:

> The key to solving your problem is that read.spss per default
> gives you a *list* and not a *dataframe* (can anyone explain this
> choice of default?).

The reason for the default is speed.

It's possible that the default could be changed to make it easier to use
for people who don't read the help page. I haven't measured the speed
difference recently, but it used to be significant.  IIRC the reasoning
was that you would often want just a few variables from a data file, in
which case subsetting before creating a data frame was a worthwhile
saving.

I have certainly had complaints that reading just a few variables from a
large Stata file is slow (because it does produce a data frame first)

 	-thomas