[R] delete "-character from strings in matrix

Werner Wernersen pensterfuzzer at yahoo.de
Sun Jun 12 14:10:43 CEST 2005

Thanks for the reply, Andy!

My problem was that I could not get rid of a double
quote character within the
string. I don't know what I have done before, but now
it works...?!?!
Sorry for bothering you.

Best,
   Werner

Liaw, Andy wrote:
> Please define "does not work".  Here's what I get:
>

>>m <- matrix(paste(letters[1:4], "does not work."),
2, 2)

>      [,1]               [,2]
> [1,] "a does not work." "c does not work."
> [2,] "b does not work." "d does not work."
>
>>gsub("does not work.", "", m)
>
> [1] "a " "b " "c " "d "
>
>>structure(gsub("does not work.", "", m), dim=dim(m))
>
>      [,1] [,2]
> [1,] "a " "c "
> [2,] "b " "d "
>
> R-2.1.0 on WinXPPro.
>
> Andy
>

>>From: Werner Wernersen
>>
>>Hi!
>>
>>I have strings where occasionally some "-chars
occur.
>>How can I delete these chars?
>>
>>I tried it with gsub but using "" as replace does
not
>>work.
>>
>>Thanks a lot for any hint!
>>Regards,
>>   Werner

> Notice:  This e-mail message, together with any
attachments, contains information of Merck & Co., Inc.
(One Merck Drive, Whitehouse Station, New Jersey, USA
08889), and/or its affiliates (which may be known
outside the United States as Merck Frosst, Merck Sharp
& Dohme or MSD and in Japan, as Banyu) that may be
confidential, proprietary copyrighted and/or legally
privileged. It is intended solely for the use of the
individual or entity named on this message.  If you
are not the intended recipient, and have received this
message in error, please notify us immediately by
reply e-mail and then delete it from your system.