[R] problem with polr ?

John Fox jfox at mcmaster.ca
Fri Jun 10 23:40:01 CEST 2005

Dear Marc,

Actually, polr fits the proportional-odds logistic regression model (or a
similar ordered probit model), which requires an ordinal response. I don't
believe that it makes sense to think of a < f < m. For the multinomial logit
model, see the multinom function in the nnet package.

> The data have been entered in a text file like this:
>
> output  factor  n
> m       1.2     10
> f       1.2     12
> a       1.2     1
> m       1.3     14
> f       1.3     14
> a       1.3     4
> m       1.4     15
> f       1.4     12
> a       1.4     3
>
> However, after having performed the analysis, it appears this
> is not correct as the 3 outputs per experiment are not linked...
>
> library(MASS)
> dt.plr <- polr(output ~ factor, data=dt, weights=n)
> >  dt.pr1<-predict(dt.plr, , type="probs")
> >  dt.pr1
>             a         f         m
> 1 0.09987167 0.4578184 0.4423099
> 2 0.09987167 0.4578184 0.4423099
> 3 0.09987167 0.4578184 0.4423099
> 4 0.09437078 0.4477902 0.4578390
> 5 0.09437078 0.4477902 0.4578390
> 6 0.09437078 0.4477902 0.4578390
> 7 0.08914287 0.4374067 0.4734505
> 8 0.08914287 0.4374067 0.4734505
> 9 0.08914287 0.4374067 0.4734505

These are the fitted probabilities of response in each of the three
categories. Note that each row sums to 1, as it should. Of course, the model
likely doesn't make sense.

> ---------------------------Another linked problem
>
> Also, I don't understand what the meaning of the residual
> deviance that is displayed.
> Let modify the file so that the model can also be analyzed
> using binomial model:
>
> output  factor  n
> m       1.2     10
> f       1.2     12
> a       1.2     0
> m       1.3     14
> f       1.3     14
> a       1.3     0
> m       1.4     15
> f       1.4     12
> a       1.4     0
>
> dt.plr
> Call:
> polr(formula = output ~ factor, data = dt, weights = n)
>
> Coefficients:
>    factor
> 2.034848
>
> Intercepts:
>         a|f        f|m
> -16.306511   2.632410
>
> Residual Deviance: 106.2304
> AIC: 112.2304
>
> whereas the corresponding scaled deviance for the binomial
> model (removing a column) is 1.842e-3...

I'm surprised that you were able to get estimates here at all, since there
are no observations at category a; nevetheless, polr is estimating two
thresholds, one between the never-observed a and f. I expect that this is a
numerical artifact. Note that if you simply remove the rows for a rather
than set the counts to 0, polr will complain that there are only two
categories.

I hope this helps,
 John