[R] Error with function lda in package MASS (dimnames not equal?)

Joshua Gilbert joshuacgilbert at gmail.com
Fri Jun 10 15:38:55 CEST 2005

This question appears to have been asked previously, but not answered.
the last response I can find to this previous thread is here:
http://tolstoy.newcastle.edu.au/R/help/04/07/0126.html. The asnwer was
to provide debugging info, not an answer.

So the problem is that I'm trying to use lda on my dataset. You can
download my data here:
http://northstar-www.dartmouth.edu/~jgilbert/nolda, I used R's save
function to save objects data and classes (yes, I realize that I name
stomped the data function in package utils). To replicate my results,
simply enter the following:
> library(MASS)
> load('nolda')
> lda(data,classes)
Error in lda.default(x, grouping, ...) : length of 'dimnames' [2] not
equal to array extent

Now, I don't know what that means.
> dimnames(data)
NULL
> dimnames(classes)
NULL

As for debugging, I don't know how. I cannot debug lda.default as I
get the following:
> debug(lda.default)
Error: Object "lda.default" not found

I think that that's pretty much it. Can anyone help me?